Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Our DIY Fabric Headboard

In an earlier post, I mentioned wanting to make a fabric headboard.  I’ve wanted one for a while, and it only intensified during my feng shui class (just after being reprimanded for wanting a television in the bedroom) when I learned that a headboard made of wood is grounded and stable. I was also told that it should not have holes or sharp elements to ensure positive energy. My mother gets plenty of positive rest each night beneath her pointy, slated, metal headboard so to each his own, I guess. Really though, when I saw this design, I fell in love.


After doing some online research (re: googling), I found a great pattern from the blog Blissful Begonia. It is extremely easy to follow, and the example pattern is lovely.

We, er, Matthew, adjusted the dimensions for our Queen-sized bed since we are not yet fancy enough for a California king. He also took it upon himself to adjoin some extra wood towards the bottom (doubling the “D” pieces) for added support.


There was lots of sawing. (No safety glasses!)


And lots of stapling. (Safety glasses FTW!)


A bit of beer. (But not too much - be safe kiddos!)


And suddenly in the mess of our garage a headboard began to appear.


We stapled the foam padding to the board, and then it was time to wrap it in fabric.


(car swap post-snow cone break)

We debated on a fun, funky pattern, but with the limited choices here it was ruled out. However, Matthew said if we get bored of the grey-blue we can easily remove the fabric and add something new. But for now, it's just what I pictured: clean and simple.


Complete with catawampus Euro pillow. I am terrible, I know. :D


Yes that is an empty picture frame... I haven’t decided what I want to put in it yet...

But who cares -- we have a headboard!

I almost wish I could have taken a before picture to compare with after, but really there is no comparison. Before we had no headboard, now I have something comfy and pretty to lean against while I read my Nook Color before going to bed. And Matthew can play angry birds and what-ever-that-bubble-blaster-game-is-called in peace. Yay!


See all those boxes stacked to the left of us working? Those are my books, crammed in unopened boxes since my move to Wyoming. Our next project is definitely a bookshelf. I’m thinking lovely and white with wallpaper backing. Or new end tables. -sigh- One thing at a time, I guess.


5 comments:

Allie said...

I love the new headboard! Looks great with your bedding. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who has empty picture frames all over the place... hopefully that's a project we're going to work on tonight since we need to get some wedding pics printed.

Kristen said...

Oo! What a lovely project that turned out to be.
1) that canadian beer looks crazy. considering how close you are to the border, was it still 'imported'?
2) snow cones, in wyoming?
3) that's alota books!
4) miss you
~Kristen

KaCy eLLe said...

Beautiful, Jackie! It looks like it was fun to make too!

Btw, you should *totally* make an empty picture frame wall collage now. ;) lol

Christa said...

Love it! What a sweet husband to help!

Scott Lemieux said...

Wow, we've been craving a headboard for a while and that looks amazing!

Post a Comment