Monday, April 4, 2011

The Seven Wonders of the West

Our town, Sheridan, WY, is quite pretty. It’s at the foothills of the Big Horn Mountains, it has a cute downtown, and there are lots of things to do outdoors. The husband and I love hiking, climbing, camping, and kayaking. We are loving the opportunities and the scenery here.

Just last week I pulled over to take this photo at the Wildlife Reserve just two streets from our house.


I would have shown a little more of the mountains in this picture, but, unfortunately, a pair of buffalo were doing unspeakable things in that region, so I thought it best if I just focus on the nice, grazing ones.

Another good thing this Geography Nerd loves about Wyoming is that I finally live in a state I can accurately illustrate!! Don’t get me wrong, I love Texas and will certainly return one day, but, for now, it’s nice to be in a state I am able to draw.


 (source)

The downside? I moved from the DFW Metroplex, with a population exceeding six million people. Before that, I attended Texas A&M University in the small town of College Station, Texas with a population just under 100,000. Now? I live in a state with a population of 560,000! In Wyoming’s defense, a great portion of it is a national park. And it's beautiful.

So, while we’re here, we definitely want to make the most of it. I’ve complied a list of seven touristy attractions we want to see. I understand that the title is misleading, because, technically, they’re not all attractions in the West. Rather, they’re the attractions within driving distance that I really, really want to visit.

Number One:  Yellowstone


Beautiful, breathtaking, amazing. Husband has been once before and says it is his all-time favorite vacation. I, on the other hand, have never been. It’s a definite summer trip we’ll take. Hopefully when we have visitors? (*hint*hint*nudge*)


Number Two:  Jackson Hole



This was our Number One Honeymoon Destination until, midway through our wedding planning fiancé got a job offer in Wyoming. After he took it, we nixed the idea of honeymooning in state we were moving to. However, I still really, really want to go!


Number Three:  Mt Rushmore


As a history nerd, I’ve always wanted to visit. A friend of ours says to see Crazy Horse while we’re at it, but I’m more curious to see if my very favorite president Calvin Coolidge actually buried invaluable treasures here. (ten billion points if you know what I’m talking about!)  This will certainly be a weekend trip for us as the Black Hills are not far at all.

Number Four:  Calgary



A Canadian city I’ve just always wanted to see. A bit more of a drive than the other trips, but still somewhere we plan to visit.

Number Five:  Devils Tower


Or Devil's Tower? After a little research (googling), I'm still unsure...

Number Six:  Glacier National Park




I am really excited about this! We’re planning on making this more of a vacation than a weekend getaway. Plus, you can (sometimes, maybe, rarely) see the Northern Lights here, which has always been a dream of mine.

Number Seven:  Red Lodge Ski Resort


I’ve been told this is the best skiing close by. We’re thinking of making a Memorial Day three-day weekend trip to do some skiing and stay in the lodge.



Any suggestions for other places to visit? Comment on what to do while we're at any of these destinations?

Cheers!




6 comments:

Cathy said...

Yellowstone, on top of my list too. Clagary looks really nice too from the picture you posted.

Christa said...

Hello fellow foodie, cardigan aficionado, Arrested development lover, and the biggest reason I'm following--fellow West River Midwest girl/new neighbor. Welcome to the land of wide open spaces; it is certainly different over here that even what I was used to! Your post reminded me of the buffalo we saw a couple weeks ago and chased around for a bit. There is never a dull moment. Haha. Found you on WeddingBee. :)
www.dakotatransplant.com

Kristen said...

1,3,5 & 6 were all part of the same vacation for your Husband and us. and we saw crazy horse too. I'm very excited to hear about all the adventures you are going to have.

I don't know about invaluable treasures, but I do remember some secret tomb at the back of Mt Rushmore with messages to aliens of the future.

KaCy eLLe said...

I'll take Number Three: Mt. Rushmore for ten billion points, Alex.

Answer: What is National Treasure: Book of Secrets.

Sara said...

Hi! I found your blog on the weddingbee April blog post and I am so glad I did. I'm following along now and looking forward to reading more. This is such a beautiful post! I hope you're able to check these all off of your list soon :-)

Scott Lemieux said...

I grew up in Calgary, so it's always funny to me to see someone who wants to visit. We can give you tips if you ever go!

Post a Comment