Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Honeymoon in NYC: Thanks Meg! Part I

Early into our engagement, Matthew and I discussed possible honeymoon destinations.  Neither of us wanted to go to the beach (though now that I’m somewhere where it snows I can definitely see the appeal!). We tossed around ideas of Europe, but this was when we both in college, penniless and with no ‘adult’ job offers. Spending that much money when we could be living in our college town, still working our college jobs after our wedding just didn’t seem right. Matthew was very adamant about not spending above our means, so I (successfully?) convinced him that we would just have to take a dream European vacation a year or so after marriage.

After some searching, we decided on Jackson Hole. I was excited about sleigh rides and drinking hot cocoa in bed. Something about snow and snuggling was very romantic to me.

Then Matthew got a job offer in Wyoming. After he accepted it, we decided that our dream honeymoon was not spending money flying to the state that we were about to move. Not to mention it was about to become scenery and atmosphere within driving distance, so we nixed it.

Without a plan, we turned to Travelzoo. It finds inexpensive rates for rooms and flights and all sorts of vacation needs. Scrolling through deals, Matthew suggested New York City.

It may be worlds apart from most people’s beach-y dream vacation, but all I could think of was: Romance!



This logic is all thanks to Meg Ryan. From some of my favorite movies, I’d built up a romantic fantasy about New York City. And, as Matthew pointed out, we wouldn’t be bored. We started making a list as there was so much to see and do!

1 comments:

Christa said...

There is SOOOOO much to do. Went there in high school on a band/choir trip when I was a freshman, the year before 9/11. Pretty crazy awesome. You should go.....during Thanksgiving and hit up the Macy's Day Parade! My sister was in it a few years ago, and that would def be a bucket list trip for me!

Post a Comment